What do you get?
- To provide a safe and loving home for one of our gorgeous dogs.
- Full support from your local Dog Training Instructor via online support, virtual dog training and one-to-one sessions.
- All food, bedding, toys and equipment will be provided.
- Medical expenses and insurance is covered by Hearing Dogs.
- A better understanding of dog handling, training and behaviour.
What do we need?
- A loving home, with a secure garden.
- Volunteers who are at home for the majority of the day and who are willing to allow a Hearing Dogs trainer to visit your home regularly to carry out training.
- Access to video calling facilities for virtual dog training classes.
- Volunteers who have an interest in dog training and behaviour.
- Previous experience is not necessary for this role.
What else do you need to know?
As a training from home volunteer, you will be supporting us by providing a home to one of our adolescent dogs for 6-8 months whilst it completes it's advanced training to become a Hearing Dog.
You will received full support from a local Hearing Dogs dog trainer, which includes; regular visits to carry out one-to-one dog training and virtual training classes on a weekly basis. Additionally, you may be required to meet the dog trainer in a local town or park to carry out any further training as required.
Some dogs will need more training than others, and some may be on a break, in which case the visits will only be occasional to ensure that basic training is maintained. For this reason, the length of time and number of days the trainer would be with you would vary from dog to dog.
We can provide occasional temporary homes in case of emergencies or pre-booked holidays.
"We love being a link in a very special 'dog chain'. We feel really valued and proud that we can help other people and give something back."
Training from home FAQs
What breeds do you use?
Hearing dogs use Labradors, Cocker Spaniels (Working & Show types), Miniature Poodles and the mixed breed Cockapoos. These breeds all have the traits needed to become perfect hearing dogs.
Is it ok if I have my own pets?
Yes. If you have a pet dog we will need to assess their temprament before we place a puppy with you. Having other pets can be a great opportunity to get your puppy used to meeting other animals!
Can I leave the dog alone at home?
We ask that our dogs are not left for longer than 3-4 hours at a time and not on a regular basis.
I work full time can I train a dog from my home?
We look for volunteers who are at home for the majority of the day so the dog is not left on it's own for too long. At-home workers may be considered on an individual basis.