Short term homes required for our dogs
We are looking for amazing volunteers, in several locations around the UK, to care for our young dogs on a temporary basis whilst their full-time trainer is on holiday or in the case of an emergency.
What do we need?
- A loving home, with a safe & secure garden.
- A commitment to looking after one of our dogs on a temporary basis for at least 4-5 consecutive days up to a month at a time. This role is not suitable for full time workers; part-time workers may be considered on an indivdual basis - please outline your shift pattern when you get in touch.
- It is important that our dogs on 'holiday' continue with their training plan, volunteers should be able to attend any training classes, meet ups or one-to-ones as required.
- To live in one of the catchment areas listed below.
- You don't need previous experience of having a dog!
What do you get?
- To care for one of our gorgeous puppies, young dogs or other 'Hearing Dogs Family' dogs on a temporary basis.
- To learn about dog-training
- All food, bedding and toys will be provided for your dog and your litter.
- Medical expenses and insurance is covered by Hearing Dogs.
- The opportunity to meet like-minded people and helping others.
What else do you need to know?
The dogs requiring temporary care may vary in age from as young as 8 weeks to 3/4 years old. Some of our dogs are starting out or going through our puppy training scheme, others will be in their advanced stages of soundwork training.
We are currently only accepting applications for new short-term dog care volunteers in the following locations:
Hertfordshire - Luton & Hitchin
Buckinghamshire - High Wycombe
Basingstoke, Aldershot & Farnborough
“Caring for hearing dogs on a short term basis, has made a fundamental change in our lives for the better. We have welcomed several dogs into our home which have all been such wonderful experiences."
Short term dog care FAQs
What breeds do you use?
Hearing dogs use Labradors, Cocker Spaniels (Working & Show types), Miniature Poodles and the mixed breed Cockapoos. These breeds all have the traits needed to become perfect hearing dogs.
Is it okay if I have my own pets?
Yes. If you have a pet dog we will need to assess their temprament before we place a dog with you and they must be neutered. All vaccinations must be up to date.
Can I look after dogs on the weekend?
We no longer accept applications for weekends or school holidays only.
Can I leave the dog alone at home?
We ask that our young puppies are not left alone for longer than 1 hour and our older dogs for longer than 3-4 hours at a time and not on a regular basis.
I work part time can I still do this role?
We look for volunteers who are at home for the majority of the day so the dog is not left on it's own for too long. At-home & part-time workers may be considered on an individual basis. Please outline your days worked/shift patterns when you get in touch. Please note we require at least 4 consecutive days of availablity.