What do you get?
- A gorgeous hearing dog mum!
- The opportunity to raise a litter of puppies.
- All food, bedding and toys will be provided for your dog and your litter.
- All the equipment required for when the puppies arrive.
- Medical expenses and insurance is covered by Hearing Dogs.
- The opportunity to meet like-minded people and helping others.
What do we need?
- A loving home, with a secure garden.
- Volunteers to live within an hour of our training centre in Saunderton.
- Volunteers who can care for a litter of puppies until they are 8 weeks of age.
- Volunteers who have an interest in dog training and puppy socialising
- You don't need previous experience of having litters!
What else do you need to know?
Brood bitch holders should be able to make regular visits to our centre in Buckinghamshire for mating, health checks and training.
We have a brilliant team who will support you every step of the way. You will be given all the training and guidance you need ready for your first litter of puppies, and your allocated breeding scheme supervisor will be there, day or night, to support you through the birth.
“It's magical when the puppies are born and then such fun watching as they grow and develop. The most rewarding part is seeing them again later when they have grown up and are ready to be trained as working hearing dogs.”
Breeding Scheme FAQs
What breeds do you use?
Hearing dogs use Labradors, Cocker Spaniels (Working & Show types), Miniature Poodles and the mixed breed Cockapoos. These breeds all have the traits needed to become perfect hearing dogs.
When will my brood have her first litter?
All brood bitches must have had 1 season and be 14 months (smaller breeds) or 22 months (larger breeds) before breeding for the first time?
How many litters will she have?
Brood bitches have no more than 4 litters in her lifetime and a rest season after each litter.
What happens after 4 litters?
Brood bitches are retired after 4 litters, usually around the age of 7. You will be offered the option to rehome her at this time.