What do you get?
- The company of one of our gorgeous dogs on the evenings and weekends.
- All food, bedding and toys will be provided.
- The opportunity to learn more about dog training by attending training sessions throughout the year.
- Medical expenses and insurance is covered by Hearing Dogs.
- The opportunity to meet like-minded people and to help others.
What do we need?
- A loving home, with a secure garden.
- Volunteers who are able to drop a dog off at our training centre in Bielby between 7.30-9am and collect them again between 5-6.15pm, Monday-Friday.
- Volunteers who have an interest in dog training.
- Previous experience is not necessary for this role.
What else do you need to know?
As a B&B volunteer, you will be supporting us by providing a relaxing home to our adolescent dogs for 6 months that are being trained at our centre.
A dog will be allocated to you before it arrives at our centre. You will collect this dog each evening, caring for him/her overnight and returning them to us the following day for training, as well as keeping the dog at home over the weekend.
To ensure that the dog is happy and settled, you will need to be able to do this daily for the entire time that they are being trained. We can provide occasional temporary homes in case of emergencies or pre-booked breaks.
Please note this role is currently only available at our training centre in Bielby. The address is The Beatrice Wright Centre, Hayton Road, Bielby, YO42 4JP which is located just off the A1079.
“This is a wonderful way of experiencing the joys of having a dog, but for evenings and weekends only, and I play a part in changing lives at the same time."
Bed & Breakfast volunteering FAQs
What breeds do you use?
Hearing dogs use Labradors, Cocker Spaniels (Working & Show types), Miniature Poodles and the mixed breed Cockapoos. These breeds all have the traits needed to become perfect hearing dogs.
Can I take my dog out with me?
Absolutely! We ask that you treat your Bed & Breakfast guest like you would your own pet dog - walks on the evenings and weekends are encouraged.
Is it ok if I have my own pets?
Yes. If you have a pet dog we will need to assess their temprament before we place a dog with you. Most of our dogs are used to meeting other pets and animals.
Can I leave the dog alone at home?
We ask that our dogs are not left for longer than 2-3 hours at a time and not on a regular basis.