Easy dog biscuit recipe - Gingerbread
We're not the only ones who enjoy a treat or two at Christmas time - your dog will also adore these festive homemade gingerbread biscuits.
Our version cuts out the sugar, and intensifies the ginger flavour for a tasty kick your dog is sure to enjoy.
Trainer Hayley Simpson who tried our recipe on her two dogs Max and Bex says: “It definitely passed the test, they loved it. I also tried it myself and it tastes really nice! It’s perfect for vegetarians as well as for dogs and a great idea for Christmas.”
We recommend that these gingerbread biscuits should only be used as a tasty reward, and given to your dog in small quantities as part of a balanced diet. We also recommend that it should only be given to dogs and puppies over the age of six-months old. If you have any concerns about giving your dog a home cooked treat please check with your vet first.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour (or wheat-free flour for dogs with wheat allergies).
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (keep this to a minimum as too much can lead to mouth blisters!).
- 1/2 cup runny honey or molasses
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup light olive oil or flaxseed oil
- Preheat oven to 325° F / 160°C / gas mark 3.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, ginger, and cinnamon until combined.
- In a small bowl, using a sturdy spoon, stir together the honey, water and oil.
- Pour the mixture into the flour.
- Using the same sturdy spoon, stir ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thickness.
- Use your favourite cookie cutters to cut shapes.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place your cut outs on the baking sheet.
- Continue to roll and cut out shapes with the remaining dough.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
Yield – Using a 2 inch cookie cutter, you should yield approximately 28 dog biscuits.
The gingerbread dough will keep fresh for several weeks in the refrigerator or you can keep in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Psst! Don’t miss all the latest Hearing Dogs news…
Would you like to know more about us, our dogs and our amazing community? We have a free monthly e-newsletter that we send out to 30,000 of our fantastic friends. It would be great if you joined, too.
- Updates on how we train our dogs and how they change deaf people’s lives.
- A monthly dose of our adorable puppies!
- Behind-the-scenes stories and photos.
- News of upcoming events and ways you can help us create more hearing dogs.