Foods poisonous to dogs
Ingredients and foods that dogs should never eat
Hearing Dogs’ Welfare Manager, Emma Golding says: “These foods may be hazardous or highly toxic* to dogs. If you think your dog may have eaten anything toxic, please take emergency action by contacting a veterinary professional immediately for advice.”
You may also wish to consult our list of safe foods for dogs.
- Almonds (in large amounts)
- Almond flour (GF)
- Brazil nuts (in large amounts)
- Cacao nibs*
- Caffeine* (including tea, coffee etc...)
- Chocolate* – the darker it gets the more toxic it is
- Corn on the cob
- Garlic* – large quantities
- Green tomatoes*
- Grapes* – the skins are highly toxic
- Lemons and limes
- Macadamia nuts*
- Milk and milk products (unless lactose-free)
- Moulds* – mouldy bread, nuts and dairy foods plus blue cheese like Stilton etc…
- Mustard seeds
- Onions* – large quantities
- Peanut butter with added sweetener* (all artificial sweeteners such as Xylitol*, Aspartame* etc are toxic to dogs)
- Pecan nuts
- Pistachio nuts
- Shallots* – large quantities
- Sweeteners* (all artificial sweeteners such as Xylitol*, Aspartame* etc are toxic to dogs)
- Yeast dough
Want more, free, dog-friendly recipes?
Psst! Don’t miss all the latest Hearing Dogs news…
Would you like to know more about us, our dogs and our amazing community? We have a free monthly e-newsletter that we send out to 15,000 of our fantastic friends. It would be great if you joined, too.
- Updates on how we train our dogs and how they change deaf people’s lives.
- A monthly dose of our adorable puppies!
- Behind-the-scenes stories and photos.
- News of upcoming events and ways you can help us create more hearing dogs.