Safe foods for dogs
Ingredients and foods that are dog-friendly
Hearing Dogs’ Welfare Manager, Emma Golding says: “We’ve compiled a comprehensive list of ingredients and foods that are generally safe for dogs to eat. However, you should always check with a veterinary professional if you have any concerns regarding your dog’s dietary health or possible food sensitivities or intolerances.
You may also wish to consult our list of foods poisonous for dogs.
Grains, nuts and seeds
- Arrowroot (in v small amounts)
- Baking soda (in small amounts)
- Baking powder (in small amounts)
- Buckwheat (GF)
- Cashew nuts (in small amounts)
- Flax seed
- Flour (non-bleached)
- Flour (gluten free)
- Peanuts (in small amounts)
- Rice flour (GF)
- Coconut oil (in small amounts)
- Coconut milk
- Olive oil (in small amounts)
- Vegetable oil (sunflower, rapeseed)
- Cheddar cheese (lactose free)
- Cottage cheese (lactose free)
- Cream cheese (lactose free)
- Milk (lactose free)
- Bacon (uncured)
- Salmon (not the skin)
Sugars and carbohydrates
- Honey (preferably raw)
- Molasses (blackstrap molasses)
- Potato starch
Herbs, spices and flavourings
- Vanilla (only if alcohol free and in v small amounts)
Vegetables and fruits
- Brussel sprouts
- Cucumber Green beans
- Iceberg lettuce (in v small amounts)
- Kale (in small amounts)
- Marrow, courgettes and Zucchini
- Melon (cantaloupe, watermelon)
- Peppers (any colour)
- Sweet potato
Want more, free, dog-friendly recipes?
Psst! Don’t miss all the latest Hearing Dogs news…
Would you like to know more about us, our dogs and our amazing community? We have a free monthly e-newsletter that we send out to 15,000 of our fantastic friends. It would be great if you joined, too.
- Updates on how we train our dogs and how they change deaf people’s lives.
- A monthly dose of our adorable puppies!
- Behind-the-scenes stories and photos.
- News of upcoming events and ways you can help us create more hearing dogs.