Four Trustees required – Hon. Treasurer, Finance, Veterinary, Governance & Audit
Voluntary roles - Unremunerated
Located in Saunderton, Buckinghamshire
We are working in partnership with Hearing Dogs for Deaf People, a national charity which helps
deaf people to leave loneliness behind and reconnect with life. Hearing Dogs provides numerous
services for people with hearing loss, most famously through the bespoke training of assistance dogs
to alert deaf people to crucial sounds they cannot hear but also through the provision of their many
non-canine services to people with hearing loss. Since 1982, the charity has trained thousands of
hearing dogs to transform the lives of deaf children and adults. There are over 1,000 working
hearing dog partnerships across the UK who are supported by the charity for ten years or more, with
600 puppies and young dogs in training.
The organisation is now seeking to complement their existing Board with four new Trustees who will
bring high level expertise in their particular professional arenas:
• Honorary Treasurer – a qualified Chartered Accountant, to Chair the Finance Committee and
to ensure the organisation’s financial viability through consistent best practice
• Finance Trustee – with experience in finance and to support the Honorary Treasurer
• Veterinary Trustee – Experience either as a Vet or have expertise and/or experience in dog
welfare & behaviour or other dog-related activities
• Governance & Audit Trustee – an understanding of charity governance, risk &audit matters.
Potential candidates will:
• Assist with formulating and delivering the organisation’s strategic aims
• Be an active member of the Trustee body in exercising its responsibilities and functions and
be part of a harmonious and collegial Board
• Maintain a collaborative and supportive relationship with senior managerial staff
• Fulfil such other duties as may from time to time be required by the Board
• Possess a strong interest in, and commitment to, the vision and values of the organisation,
and its future development.
• Demonstrate excellent communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team
It would be very helpful, but not essential, to have some understanding and/or experience of issues
surrounding disability, especially hearing loss, and also to enjoy the company of dogs.
Trustees are encouraged to play a full part in the vibrant life of the organisation. Those already in
this role find it extremely fulfilling and are a vital part of the team structure. Trustees should be able
to commit to 4 meetings per annum, as well as Sub-Committee meetings (timings to be decided).
Meetings except one Board meeting (which is held in the charity’s Yorkshire Centre) are ideally held
at The Grange, Saunderton but some Committee meetings may be held remotely.
All Trustee roles are open to applications from anyone. Charisma Charity Recruitment and Hearing
Dogs for Deaf People welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do
not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation,
age, veteran status or other category protected by law.
To apply for this rewarding voluntary opportunity, please submit your CV and supporting Statement
to Jenny Warner, Managing Director, Charisma Charity Recruitment, via the Charisma website.
Closing date for applications: 22 September 2021
Interview date: early/mid October 2021